Welcome to ABILENE411

Top FAQs

Find Answers - Answer Detail Page

Land Agent
Street Use License

What is a street use license, and when do I need one?

A Street Use License (SUL) is a formal agreement that allows the proponent to utilize a portion of the public right-of-way for a private purpose. This can be either short term such as for an event or long term such as for installing monitoring wells, fences, building facades, etc. In exchange for the use, the proponent indemnifies the City against any claims that may arise out of their use of the right-of-way and must maintain liability insurance.


All applications for a license to make a specific use of the public streets, alleys, or sidewalks or other public ways shall be made to the Director of Public Works, on a form provided specifically for that purpose.

There is also an application fee, see Street Use License (under Special Event License).


Contact the City of Abilene Public Works Department at (325) 676-6281 for further information.



Land Agent

Was this helpful?